Was just chatting to a girlfriend online, when the idea of us running off to a writers retreat came up. (She’s into theatre professionally and is just one of the most brilliant people I know in real life. Just sitting at her feet to see her poring over a script would be a treat in itself.)
Anyhoo, I did a quick google, not expecting anything at all, when I chanced upon the Olvar Wood Writers Retreat and lost my heart completely.
- Wireless internet access on most of the grounds – check
- Fully-equipped kitchen – check
- Library for research – check
- Stuck in the bush so you can have a quiet weekend of mad writing – check
- Complimentary on-site editorial and critiqueing service – bonus! (they keep saying “complementary editorial” when they mean “complimentary editorial”, but hey. It’s still nice to have someone VOLUNTEER to read your work and tell you what they think!)
It’s an hour away from Brisbane and rates start from $350, although if you just want to be left the hell alone so you can write freely without feeling watched, then rates start from $550. HOW COOL IS THAT!
Either I start saving now, or I aim to be one of those editorial chicks when I retire. WHO’S WITH ME?! (Nobody at this stage, because blog is still shiny and no one is listening. Yet.)